- US prosecutors filed a new superseding indictment against Ghislaine Maxwell.
- It notes a fourth Epstein and Maxwell accuser who was a minor at the time cited in the allegations.
- Prosecutors alleged Maxwell’s misconduct continued until 2004, not 1997, as they initially said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
US prosecutors filed a superseding indictment with additional sex-trafficking charges against Ghislaine Maxwell on Monday and included a fourth accuser who was a minor at the time cited in the allegations.
The original indictment served against Maxwell in June included the testimonies of three accusers. The latest accuser in the case notably expands the scope of involvement Maxwell is accused of having with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Epstein died by suicide in August 2019 while awaiting trial on charges tied to allegations that he conducted the sex trafficking of dozens of girls, but some of Epstein’s accusers have alleged Maxwell helped procure and groom the young girls to sleep with men in Epstein’s circle.
Maxwell was arrested in July and charged with a number of counts tied to allegations of trafficking minors with Epstein between 1994 and 1997. But the new indictment from prosecutors accused her of grooming minors until as late as 2004.
In a 2015 deposition released by a New York appeals court last year, Maxwell refused to answer any questions about allegations against Epstein brought forth in a civil case by Virginia Roberts Giuffre.
When she was first charged, prosecutors alleged Maxwell helped Epstein recruit and groom minors for sexual abuse, took part in the abuse of minors, and later lied about it in a deposition.
Prosecutors alleged the abuse took place at Epstein’s properties in New York City, Palm Beach, Florida, and New Mexico, as well as in Maxwell’s home in London.
Maxwell is being held at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center as she awaits trial in her case and has been denied bail a number of times since her arrest over concerns that she’s a flight risk.
Her trial is still scheduled for July 12, according to a letter filed by prosecutors to the judge following the indictment.
Prosecutors also said the trial would include the statements from over 250 witnesses, a number that could increase as the date of the trial approaches.